The human body has remained a mystery for a long time. The scientists have uncovered many interesting and weird facts about how a human body functions and operates. Below we have highlighted a few weird facts that we found interesting about the human body. Let’s dive right in.
1. Everyone’s tongue print is different, just like fingerprints.
It is one of the unique features of the every human body. Chinese researchers using 3D tongue image database are testing the tongue’s potential as an identity verification tool.
2. A human heart beats more than 100,000 times in 24 hours
That’s 35 million times a year. Over the course of an average lifetime, the human heart will beat more than three billion times. An adult’s heart pumps around 2,000 gallons of blood every day. In an average lifetime, it will pump around one million barrels. Enough to fill a little more than three super tankers.
3. It takes around 12 hours for our digestive system to entirely digest an average meal
After eating, it takes about six to eight hours for the food to go through your stomach and the small intestine. Then it goes to your large intestine (colon) for more digestion, the absorption of water and, finally, removal of undigested food.
4. An average sneeze travels out of your mouth at up to 100 miles per hour (160.9 km/h)
An average sneeze or cough sends around 100,000 germs into the air at speeds up to 100 miles per hour.
5. Women generally blink more than men do. Nearly twice as often
A study done using motion analyzers, found that women blink significantly more than men. According to the study, women blink 19 times in a minute versus 11 times in a minute for men. The study also found that women blink faster than men.
6. The dust particles inside your house are, mostly, dead skin
A specific percentage of dust consists of skin, usually about 70 or 80 percent. It also consists of animal dander, sand and insect waste.
7. There are more living organisms on your skin than there are human beings on this earth
Microscopic bacteria can be found on your tongue, teeth and skin. However, it’s not only disease-causing organisms that are present, good bacteria is also present on the skin.
8. Babies are born without kneecaps. Kneecaps form between the ages of 2 and 6
However, they do have a cartilaginous structure in their knees. The cartilage turns into bone over time.
9. Men can read small print more easily than women
Although women see more colors than men do. Men often have a better time distinguishing black and white. Men see more clarity in images with a high amount of contrast.
10. Women are much better at hearing than Men
Female brains tend to have more acute hearing abilities and are easily distracted by sound. As early as 11 years of age, women tend to be distracted by noise that is about 10 times softer than the levels that boys of similar ages find distracting.
11. Our nose and ears never stop growing
Bones generally stop growing after puberty. However, cartilage – that is the plastic like stuff in ears and noses – continues to grow until the time of death.
12. On an average, people fall asleep within seven minutes
It is normal if you take 10 to 20 minutes to fall asleep. This time is called sleep latency. However, if it takes you more than 20 minutes to fall asleep, then there may be something to worry about.
So there you have it – 12 weird facts about the human body. Let us know in the comments below which one surprised you the most. If you’d like to see more articles like this, let us know in the comment section.